Friday, March 25, 2011

Sometimes a soap box.

I'm watching Juno on USA.  Juno is one of my favorite movies.  It's the story of Juno, a teenage girl who gets pregnant while in high school by her boyfriend Bleeker.  It struck a chord for me when I saw it.  Sarah and Mikey were in high school at the time and you know, teen pregnancy is something you don't want your children to have to deal with.  It doesn't matter if you've taught your children well, sometimes life takes your children down a path that you wouldn't choose for them. Personally I feel that the story was presented in a sweet, sensitive way.  Juno caused controversy when it was released because some said that it glorified teen pregnancy.  
There will always be people who forget what it means to be a teenager and in love...  I would hate it if I allowed myself to forget that: losing sight of what you once were, and hopefully are still.

It's sad if you think about it.  Perhaps even a bit hypocritical.  The barren childless couples that want to adopt are often the most judgmental of teen pregnancy.  How messed up is that?  If it were only adult women that got pregnant and opted to give a child up for adoption, there wouldn't be so many babies to adopt.

I 'spose I should stop because this kind of narrow-minded thinking rubs me wrong and I'm going to be nothing but emotional and headstrong about this.  I will step off my soapbox for now but I dare anyone to disagree with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment