-5-
My entire family - brother, sister, parents - at one time or another attended the University of Houston. I have the distinction of being the first and most unlikely one in the family to have received a college degree from UofH. I say unlikely because (a) I had absolutely no interest in going to college, and (b) I never made the stellar grades that my sister and brother did. My mother on the other hand, knew that if I was going to go far at all in this life, I would need a college degree. With her unwavering support, I managed to finish and graduate, when often times I would have preferred to quit.
-4-
I babysat when I was growing up but when Sarah was born, I was no smarter than Prissy in Gone with the Wind who said: "I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies." Before Sarah, I had never held a baby, never been near a diaper or anything remotely related to babies. Everything I did, I learned firsthand. 100% on the job training. In hindsight, that may have been best because that made my experience all the more special due to my stumbling blind routine. Sarah was a happy and laid back baby. After her, I wanted ten more. Mikey came along soon after, happy and easy too. By that time as much as I would have loved more babies, I considered us blessed with a boy and a girl. It was a good time to stop.
-3-
I am actually very shy until I get to know someone. As a result, I tend to dread social situations until I'm smack in the middle where I find my comfort zone. In high school, I got the nickname"Ice Princess" because when I walked down the halls between classes, I tended to be most comfortable walking alone. Some assumed that I was a snob because I did not always speak first, or at all. It's not all bad being shy, shy people seldom have a problem with being alone.
-2-
I changed my major three times when I was in college due to the fact that I had no clue as to what I wanted to do the rest of my life. I started out in Economics and then switched to Business Administration and finally settling on Industrial Technology, which I got a BS in. (LOL!) Ultimately it was the psychology and child development courses that prepared me the most for my eventual and perfect occupation: Motherhood.
-1-
Speaking of motherhood: I never was one of those girls growing up who possessed an overwhelming desire to be a mother. It's not that I didn't want to be one, it was more that it was something that I never before considered. Somewhere along the way I realized that much about conception is out of your control. Sometimes life throws you curve balls in the form of miscarriages, sometimes you can't even conceive. It took my sister's misfortune to make me aware that maybe I should make a decision before that decision is made for me.
Did you learn anything new about me or do you know me well?
![]() |
| Sarah & Michael - Christmas 2010 |

No comments:
Post a Comment