Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Empty Nest

It's rare to have Sarah and Mikey gone overnight at the same time.  Rare to never are they gone simultaneously, as they have been this week.  I know that it's only for days, not for always.  It feels no different.  Hmm, we didn't close the pocket door between the den and our bedroom at bedtime to keep out the noise.  Run around the house naked? Meh.  That's another day in the life... This is an empty nest?

When I ponder further the concept of empty nest, my heart and yes, even my gut, tell me that as long as you hear the sounds of your children in your home, it's not empty.

We - the kids and I - have been sleeping in this house since day one.  Don traveled in the early years.  Rather than look after two toddler/preschoolers alone, I made an adventure out of it.  While Don went out of town on business, Sarah, Mikey and I packed up and spent time down the block in the spacious two story house complete with doting grandparents!  It was great for all of us.  I cooked, got help with the kids, and a break to boot!  The kids got undivided attention from grandparents in a big gi-normous house!  At least compared to what we were used to...  It was great.  Mom finally had grandchildren to love and spoil after almost giving up on the prospect.  Daddy was surprised to find out how much he loved having grandchildren.  He finally understood why years before it was so important to Mom that I live down the block.

Mixed in with the sounds of my childrens baby voices I hear my parents voices as well.  Mom's mobility may have been limited but Daddy more than made up for it running circles in this house after the kids.  It was not unusual for the kids to run through the house after a shower in nothing but a towel.  Sarah would run upstairs to the window in the dormer and yell to anyone that was listening, "We're naked up here!"  Mikey would be yelling, alternately, "Dan-Dai!" "Nannie, Hep me!"  "Tha-thee! (Mikey's name for Sarah)  Daddy would be laughing so hard that he was crying, looking on the verge of collapse.  Mom saying, "Dan, sit down, you're going to have a heart attack."  Daddy stops, leans over with his hands on his knees, catching his breath.  He raises his head and stands up looking at the kids who are standing on the staircase.  Sarah is twisting KitKat's tail; some day she will twist it off... They are all serious and quiet.  Daddy takes a deep breath and says, "Kings X."  They know that's the sign to stop.  The kids respect and fear Dan-Dai enough to know this is serious.  Kings X means:  straighten up or there will be consequences.  It works.  As we move in to the den, Mikey breaks the silence, "Nannie, can I have some ice cream?"  We laugh, and get busy scooping ice cream.  Ice cream at ten o'clock is a family tradition.

What I'm attempting to communicate is this:  if you have memories at all in your home, it can never be an empty nest.  I can still hear the sound of my mother's voice reading to her grandchildren.  If I listen carefully I can hear Mikey whistling in the shower.  I don't have to walk far before I hear Sarah whisper to Bubba, "I love you, handsome man."

Perhaps it's a matter of perspective.

Have you ever given any thought to what empty nest really means?
Mikey 22mths & Sarah 4yrs. 4/3/94

No comments:

Post a Comment