--6--
I do not know who this cat is but she is clearly expressing how I felt about the warmer weather this weekend. Yuck. It felt so much better when I opened the side door this morning and felt the rush of cool air.
--5--
Spent the afternoon with Sarah watching an episode of Intervention on On Demand. Sarah graciously gave me her leftovers from Yia-Yia's: stuffed grape leaves. Yum. One of the perks of Sarah working at Yia-Yia's. Yum. How to say thank you in Greek? sas efcharisto' Sarah!
--4--
I used to have semi-annual garage sales with Ellen and Daddy and, anyone else who wanted to pitch in. These were no ordinary garage sales. We took what we liked and disliked about other garage sales and built our's from the ground up. To completely understand our sales, you would have to see the driveway at this house. It is long - almost the entire length of the property, it is covered and it has an electric gate. Because we had the ability to keep the sale set up overnight, we had the sale for 3 days: Thursday (which used to be a big garage sale day), Friday and Saturday; and, I often let people in on Sunday mornings when I was dismantling.
Daddy kept a red-rope with notes for set-up, sale and close, including spread sheets showing how much money we each made, to compare how well we did from sale to sale. This is a file I haven't touched since Daddy died, in as much because we haven't had a sale since he died but also because I knew that it would bring back a flood of memories that I wasn't sure I was ready to re-visit.
I pulled the red-rope down from the top shelf of the pantry where Daddy put it over 8 years ago and looked through it today. Wonder what I found? Highest amount made at a sale: $2700+. Lowest amount made at a sale: $1000. Proof that it's a good idea to have friends in high places? A letter from my friend the police chief instructing his police patrols to allow parking on the north side of the street (usually illegal) so that people can shop at the garage sale at "Nancy Goff's" house. Proof that that was not so random? He continues to look after me, stopping by less than a month ago to say hello. (Okay, that's totally unrelated to garage sales but reassuring to say the least.) Why, what with all the money to be made with a garage sale haven't we had another? We lost our best salesman. Daddy seldom let someone walk out without buying something. If you think that I'm joking, ask Ellen.
--3--
College acceptances! For those keeping track, it is Sarah, 4: Oberlin, San Francisco State, St. Thomas & University of Houston (my choice and hers!). Michael, 2: Boston University, University of Texas. I more than lucked out that Sarah's ultimate choice was UofH. She certainly deserved to go to any of the four she was accepted to. Lucky for me that she chose UofH because honestly it would have killed me if she had left Houston. Austin is about as close to Houston as Michael will get since he rejected Rice. I guess I can't win them all.
--2--
You would think with all that's going on that I wouldn't have time to read, but not so. I received so many books for my birthday and christmas that shortly after the first of the year, I took the plunge and picked up a book. First choice? The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Great book, in fact one of those that I wished wouldn't end. I finished that one quick so I'm on to the next one passed on to me from Aunt Patsy, Native Tongue by Carl Hiaasen. She introduced me to his books a couple of years when I was searching for a new author. His books are hilarious. Pick up one of his books from the library, it's sure to make you laugh.
--1--
Last but not least: Birthdays! Beginning with Sarah's in January, Spring brings birthdays! In our family, even if someone has passed on, we still celebrate. Any excuse for cake, right? Tomorrow is Danny's, Daddy's is the second, and Ellen's is the eleventh, and that's just March and April. We won't even talk about May birthdays for now. Plenty of time for that sometime in April.
![]() |
| Happy Birthday, Dan-Dai! |


No comments:
Post a Comment