Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Birdstone

This is one of those days that make living in Texas tolerable.  The weather is perfect like San Francisco weather: moderately cool in the morning --mid 50s-- warming up as the day goes by. The cooler weather motivates me to be busy. I don't get as much accomplished as I used to which is fine.  I don't need to be quite so busy anymore. With grown children, there are fewer pressing things to get done.  I would rather spend my time with my husband.  Not to say that we only goof off, rather that there are not so many things that we have to do anymore.  As much as I enjoyed the frenetic pace of my former life, I am enjoying my current life at least as much, maybe more.

Currently, I am in my back yard watching a fire in the Chimenia (someone please tell me the correct spelling; you wouldn't believe what a Google search comes up with.)  As is the tradition here, after the Christmas tree is taken down and hauled out, Don fires up the chainsaw and cuts the tree into manageable pieces for a fire.  As well as filling up the Chimenia with remnants of the tree, I decided to throw in papers that I would have fed to my shredder.  This way I'm saving electricity and cutting down on the noise pollution.  Listen carefully class:  This is what you call a Birdstone.  I'm pretty sure that if you search for this on Google, you won't find it. Okay, maybe you will but it has nothing to do with my definition.  Birdstone is a word that I coined as a child.  The only explanation that Mom could come up with is that I must have heard adults use the phrase: Killing two birds with one stone. By burning the tree and the papers it becomes a Birdstone.


Lastly, I've had a request for lists, you know, like David Letterman's Top Ten Lists.  If there is something specific, let me know.  I love lists.  

I'm thinking about spring cleaning and spring projects.  I would love to tackle painting my den, however I don't see doing that before Mikey's commencement.  I am more inclined to tackle the smaller, more manageable jobs and paint the den in the summer when it's too humid to go outside.  I am also trimming my Facebook account.  I enjoy it but I have found that once I went beyond ten "friends" that something somehow got lost.  How or why people go over even the fifty-friend mark is beyond me. I'm old-fashioned: I prefer face-to-face or letters.  So don't be offended; it's nothing personal.






No comments:

Post a Comment