This is the first "official" day of Spring Break 2011, my last with a child in public school. If I had been asked 16 years ago how I felt about that, it would most likely be different to the way I feel today. A lot of water has flowed under that bridge and while I feel a certain sadness about this being the end of an era, I am excited about the changes on the horizon for myself, and most specifically for Michael. Change is good. That said, there are at least "about five" things, maybe more, that are on my mind this afternoon.
--7--
First and foremost? It's "Pi" day at MIT. The day that we've been waiting for. As I've said before, no one deserves this more than Mikey. He has spent the last four years working hard to get where he is today. Unfortunately, 2011 has been a record year for college applications, in particular the Ivy Leagues. For Mikey, that means the playing field increased exponentially (he would appreciate the "math" word...). More competition. Mikey never felt threatened by competition. The "threat" of competition energized Mikey. Should he not get in to MIT, it's not for lack of trying and most important, he knows that he did his best. He should be proud of himself. Ultimately, that's what matters most.
You know what? If I'm willing to let my Snookums go as far away as Cambridge for four years, then they damn well better admit him. If not, that's okay; we're all good here. Job well done, John Michael. I'm proud to be your Ma. ;-)
--6--
I found a dress. For Mikey's commencement. For me, not Mikey. I'm excited because I get to buy a new dress. I love dresses. I don't have much need for dresses these days so I look forward to an excuse to buy a new one. About once a year an event comes up; this year it's commencement, the same as the last three years. The dress is beautiful, not my first choice but given the scarcity of size 2's available, I'm grateful. Best thing? On sale plus a 20% coupon. Yea! Next thing? Shoes.
--5--
I walk around the house turning off lights that others have left on. It's a habit I formed as a child. Simply stated: Turn off the lights when you leave a room because leaving them on wastes money and energy. As it turns out, it pays off. Reliant emails weekly summaries of electrical usage and tips on how to save the next week. The last two weeks our usage down compared to last year this month. Bam.
--4--
Libraries. I love our library. I've used this library all my life but I appreciate it so much more than when I was a kid. Books, magazines, dvds! I've made great friends there. It's one of our favorite places to go. Really, really great thing about it? I reserve dvds from home on my computer through the libraries database and BAM I get the phone call that my dvd is ready to be picked. I know that you can do this too but: Do you ever take advantage of it? I love it. Could I be any more lazy? Seriously, if you haven't used this great feature at your library, you should.
--3--
I found a flyer in the mail today from Macys. It was an ad for the Ralph Lauren Spring Collection for Children. I don't know how clear the picture is but I will share it anyway.
Slick advertisement. Someday these will be Mikey's children: all ages, colors, all races. Most important (& most obvious to some of us...) they will all be rockin' Ralph Lauren. Am I right?
--2--
Thanks to Sarah, I am on the second moleskin (pink, naturally) that she gave me. Always thoughtful when gifting, Sarah surprises me with presents that I would love to own but would never indulge myself with. Now that I have one, I don't want to be without one. Hint, hint...
--1--
I have great news. Bubba Leigh Wiggins-Goff is trimming down. Yes, you heard me right. He made a commitment to good health: Smaller portions, fewer portions, cutting back on catnip, getting more sun, more sleep, and mixing it up a bit by adding in a little exercise. He has lost a grand total of six pounds trimming down to a "husky" 15 pounds. Showing impressive self-discipline, Bubba accomplished a feat that some of us thought impossible. Bubba, you are my hero. Note to Bubba: U can nott haz kittah lipo suk shun. BAD KITTAH!
No comments:
Post a Comment