I believe that most would agree that you don't always appreciate the value of something until you no longer have it. Sometimes in the process of discovering that you've lost something, you realize that the value you once attached to it is insignificant and therefore the loss is minimal. Then there are those things that have immense value so when you lose them it can be traumatic. Ultimately, value is relative and unique to the individual.
If I had never had a computer, I am sure that I would have survived. Although I am not what I consider to be computer literate, I manage to find my way around computers. I used to feel guilty about the time that I spent surfing the internet until my computer crashed last week. Since I've been without my computer I discovered that I use my computer for more than just killing time. It's not just shopping, playing solitaire and keeping up with the Kardashians. It's for recipes, cleaning solutions, news and communication to name a few. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Sure, I check my Facebook, my email, Anthropology and yes, I do keep up with the Kardashians but all of sudden when you don't have access to a computer, you are up a creek. Need to look up a phone number, address, directions? That ingredient in the recipe that you can't remember? I am most certainly closer to my siblings because of email. What with me being busy with my family, and my brother and sister being busy with their lives, email is a god-send for us. We use our little snippets of time to touch base with one another.
Like Stan Marsh, I learned something today. I learned that the benefits from time spent on my computer far outweighs any guilt that I feel. The value that I place on computer time is of value to me and that's kind of all that matters. I won't beat myself up anymore about spending time on the computer. There is value in time spent online and it can be productive, although it doesn't always have to be. You know the saying: all work and no play... If it's not, I'll get over it. You should to.
No comments:
Post a Comment