Monday, February 21, 2011

About five for February 21

We've had a really good week around here.  The weather is beautiful so with some deadlines behind us, these are some things that I'm thinking about.

--5--
I've cut most of the dead foliage in the front yard so it's time to attack the back.  I dread the look of the barren back yard until Spring takes off, and everything is green is again.  If the yard didn't look so sad right now, I swear I would wait until more green was popping out.
--4--
I did rediscover something those few days that I was without a computer.  I get so much more done when I don't have computer!  I cleared more things out of my "Food Room" (what Bubba calls the Pantry) to prepare for my grand re-organization.   I was running on fits of Cabin Fever Energy:  clearing, dusting, cleaning and moving (the food rooms' best feature: removable shelves) all the shelves.  It might not suit another's needs but I'm thrilled with the effort.
--3--
My family has recycled since the 70's, long before many people even knew what it meant.  I remember helping my mom collect the recyclables and carry them across town to the only available collection place.  At her suggestion, I wrote my senior year humanities paper in high school and a subsequent paper  in senior English in college, on recycling.  It was good advice; I scored an A both times. I was raised to reduce, reuse, recycle and be frugal before these were popular.  Consequently composting was the next natural step.  About the time that Don retired we began composting.  Again, nothing new.  My grandfather had a rather large compost bin in the far corner of the yard at the little house down the block.

What was new to me was the drastic difference it has made in the volume of garbage we generate a week.  It's shocking!  It's not unusual to have just 1/2 of a 13 gallon bag to put out once a week, for a family of four.  What a huge argument in favor of  composting... I wish we had started this sooner.
--2--
I am finally becoming used to my computer after spending much of the last two days playing around with it.  I love it just as I knew I would.  One of the merits of being older and wiser: knowing that it does pay off to read the directions and use the Help menu.  It also is advisable to surround yourself with computer geeks, especially computer geeks that want to be fed.
--1--
Last but not least, two very special kittahs, my nephews Romeo and Casper, had a birthday on Saturday.  They are brothers, and they turned sixteen.  They are two of the most exquisite specimens of Siamese that I've ever seen.  Slender and muscular, they jump and play with the ease of their feral feline cousins.  They welcomed me into their all male household with a bit of trepidation, but welcome me they do.  What cat would refuse a warm body on a chilly San Francisco night even if it did not smell like what they are used to?  Happy 16th Birthday Romeo and Casper!  I hope that you received your bricks of catnip that I sent to you and, are having a joyous birthday celebration!
Romeo and Casper - September, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment