Friday, January 28, 2011

Something like Lemon Crisps

The high school that Mikey attends ends the school day at one o'clock on Fridays so he often brings home several friends.  Sometimes they arrive soon after one, sometimes later.  Whenever they arrive, they always have an appetite for snacks.  I always keep two cut-glass bowls on the island: one with peanut m&ms (holiday specific) and one with wrapped chocolate.

I stock the healthy stuff: bananas, apples, but knowing that even the healthiest 17/18 year old boys want junk food, I do my best to provide the best junk.  By coincidence I happen to be a junk food connoisseur so I provide a delicious spread.  Chips (2 varieties), taco chips, salsa, crackers, more chocolate, store-bought cookies and home-made cookies.

I would be lying if I said that I baked cookies every Friday.  Lately I've tried to have something that I've baked so when four young men walked in the door the other day I decided to bake cookies.

This is based on a cookie recipe that Ellen gave me which is wide open to variation and personal taste.  The recipe calls for a box cake mix.  Ellen uses a lemon cake mix which I don't believe I've ever used.  When I have the munchies my go-to flavor is chocolate so I stock more chocolate box cakes in my pantry which is what I used when I baked last.  The recipe couldn't be any easier.

Sandwich Cookies
1 box cake mix  (any flavor: chocolate, yellow, spice, lemon, red velvet, chocolate chip)
1/2 cup canola oil
2 lg eggs

1 16oz. can icing (any flavor)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients and mix well.
Drop from teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheets.
Bake for 10-12 min.
Makes about 4 1/2 doz.

After the cookies are cool to touch, ice a cookie and place another cookie on top of the icing to form a sandwich.  Continue making delicious little sandwiches until you run out of cookie bottoms/tops.  Feel free to eat the icing out of the can because you know you want some.  If there is any icing left (yea, right...) stash the remaining icing in a corner of the fridge where Sarah won't find it.  Otherwise, next time you need a spoon of icing in the middle of the night it won't be there.  Very quickly grab a couple cookies for yourself (eat them or hide them) because when everyone hears that the cookies are done, they will all disappear. 

If you're feeling really generous, fill up a plate with these tasty sandwich cookies and share them with the kids in your house.  They will love you dearly and think that you're the best mom ever.  That's way more gratifying than eating them yourself.
Chocolate Chip Sandwich Cookie w/Cream Cheese Icing
P.S.  If you manage to score a few for yourself, fix your favorite drink - mine is (big surprise!) chocolate milk.  Then sit down, put your feet up and enjoy your snack while listening to the voices in your house singing your praises.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment