Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Aunt Patsy

Today Ellen and I drove a little ways north to visit with our mother's sister Patsy.  I have always been close to Aunt Patsy:  as a child I used to fantasize that she and I had a special connection because we share a birthday month.  In reality she's my mother's sister so she's my aunt.  That's how it works.  Having gotten to know her so much better since my mother's death twelve years ago, I know that she is this wonderful, amazing, strong, courageous woman.  I really admire her for how she has lived her life.  Patsy's life has been tough; she's handled it with class.

Sooooo, anyway.  I love her to pieces.  She filled the void that was left after my mom died, filling it even more after daddy.  She filled the grandparent spot for my children, albeit from a distance.  She was a great aunt to the little girl I once was, the grown woman that I am today.  She's good to all of us.  As Daddy once said to me: "your Aunt Patsy?  He shook his head, smiled that beautiful smile that never failed to make me smile, then said:  She's Gold..."

How do you follow that, but to say: "She's Gold...."

What an amazing way to spend the day: with my favorite aunt.  If I'm lucky maybe a little she will rub off on me...

No comments:

Post a Comment