Happy Monday! What a difference a week makes! My back is better due to excellent muscle relaxers and good old fashioned exercise. I still have a bit of a cold: sniffles and a barking cough that sounds like I have tuberculosis. Overall I feel better.
Our local weather guru says that we are in for more winter weather: cold, wet and windy. I'll hang here with Don and Bubba trying to say warm. Just because we'll be spending a lot of time inside doesn't mean we're only going to goof off. January is slipping and February is but a few hours away; here are "about five" things that I'm going to be thinking about this week.
--5--
Admiring my nice clean, clear, stack-free desk. I didn't let the fact that it was a weekend keep me from scratching off something on my to-do list. I let so many "need to deal with" type papers stack up on my desk over the holidays that cleaning my desk was number one on my list. Ordinarily I start the year off with a fresh list and by now would have accomplished the first half dozen items. Starting off the new year sick set me back some but at least the desk is organized and ready to go.
--4--
Giving Valentines day some thought. This day has a tremendous amount of meaning to me. My parent's anniversary, Valentines day, and the day mom died - my parent's 54th wedding anniversary. Not the usual way we think about a day that is built on love. It will be 12 years this year since as Daddy put it: " Mom left", (what the hell does that mean? left the building? left to go to her office? I don't know, but I miss that about Daddy.) It took me a while to feel excited about Valentines day again, not think of it in terms of being first, the day that my mother died, second, all about hearts and love. I had to reach that point eventually because Mom would never stand for me to be sad on Valentines day; this was her favorite day. I have wonderful memories of our traditions around the day, some which my family incorporated into our Valentines day traditions. February 1st seems like a perfect day to bring out the Valentines and decorate the house. I need to think about cards and what I will bake. I'm looking forward to this.
--3--
My pantry. I recently devoted some time to re-stocking and re-organizing my pantry. I love my pantry. It might be my favorite thing about this house. It's huge: about the size of my bathroom in the little house down the block. It has two long walls full of shelves with appliances, recipe books and non-perishables which I've been rearranging and reorganizing. I sold some dishes a while back on Craigslist freeing up a couple of shelves. After staring at the empty shelves I realized that if I moved a few things around, I would have even more space. If you come looking for me and you can't find me, I may be hanging out in the pantry because I don't think I'm done yet.
--2--
Next up on my list? Clean out my kitchen drawers and decide what I use and what I can get rid of. Originally I stocked my kitchen with things that I inherited from relatives. I was grateful because I had nothing to begin with but now I'm finding that as I have accumulated more "stuff" over the years, I have more than I need. At the very least, I have pots and pans, multiple meat grinders, and some utensils which I don't use. Everything that I decide to pitch, I will list on Craigslist. How else do you pay for a airplane ticket?
--1--
Chances are when the cold weather hits, I will lose a bit of this enthusiasm and hunker down with Don and Bubba, watch movies and drink hot chocolate. If that happens that's alright by me, as long as Bubba shares the blanket.

No comments:
Post a Comment