Monday, January 17, 2011

How this all began

I don't believe much in resolutions.  I do believe in improving one's self but I find that I am most successful by making changes when the mood strikes me rather than on January 1st.  I tend to subscribe to the theory that the evolution of improving one's self should be ongoing and not just because it's the first day of a new year. This blog thing came quite by accident yesterday morning while drinking "copious" (that's my word for the day, one more time and it's mine; thanks Mom) amounts of coffee and surfing the internet.  I am mostly ordinary but I have an inordinate (I like that one too.) amount of blessings in my life and yesterday seemed an appropriate time to write them down.  The place to write these down fell, much to my chagrin, to Facebook.  As it turns out, that was the right place because after my few Facebook friends/relatives read my reflections, I was unanimously told that I need a blog.  I do.  Anyone, anyone who knows me well knows that among my blessings, aside from the people in my life, I have been blessed with the gift of gab.  (Yea, that's a whole other entry.) I've got opinions, ideas, thoughts and most current, I've got time.  I could also use something new and exciting to do.  My daughter, the Grammar Nazi, budding journalist  and top ten percenter, reassures me that this doesn't have to be grammatically perfect or even spell checked.  I can live with the imperfect grammar but I'm proud of my A's in spelling so my spelling will be as close to perfect as possible.

So, I'm going to make a serious effort because this is something that I am really excited about.  Almost giddy. As my mother once told me, everyone needs a sense of purpose.  That comment has stayed with me for a while now, not the least of which is because she was speaking from experience.  My life has changed a bit over the past few years. My second child graduates high school in May and will head off to college in August.  My first child will graduate from college soon as well.  So I'm thinking that this will become part of my new, ever-evolving sense of purpose.

What is your sense of purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment