Monday, May 30, 2011

About five for May 30

More observations and comments:

--5--
It's true: you don't really, genuinely understand why your parents fought battles for you until you do it for your own child.  In which case, Sarah and Mikey will not know until they have their own little monkeys.  Perhaps by then they will forgive me for embarrassing them when I went all "Mother Lioness" on someone.  If not, I've decided that it can't be my problem.  I would not do anything different.  I figure that I brought them into this world so it's my responsibility to defend them if necessary.  How else would they learn if not by example?

--4--
It's either a female thing or a "Nan" thing but I absolutely love a reason to get dressed up and go out.  Last week we had such a reason: the HISD Scholars Banquet honoring Valedictorians and Salutatorians.   It was such a nice event for these kids who, for the most part, have spent their entire academic careers working hard to get to this very day.  I know how hard Michael has been working and the sacrifices he has made and I imagine that the others have done the same.

--3--
P.S.  The food?? OMG!  The tables were beautiful. Perfect place settings.  Water, tea, coffee. Three-layer spice cake with thick cream cheese icing. Chocolate mousse topped with chocolate shavings in an old-timey martini glass.  Roasted chicken breast covered in some sweet sauce covered in mashed potatoes and squash.  The only thing missing? Champagne.  Given the age of those being honored, a-a-and the fact that it was a school-related event, I can forgive that.


--2--
Wednesday is when Sarah moves into her new crib (Don's term).   My cousin commented in an email to me:  "I can't even imagine how that feels for you." It really struck me.  No one else has said that to me and it was so pure and honest and I really needed to hear that rather than pretty much anything else.  I don't even know how it feels for me other than the fact that I am ecstatic for Sarah.  It's going to be different.  I will miss her living under this roof but we will talk, text and play scrabble as much as we do now.  Baby steps.

--1--
Over the weekend I realized that it had been a whole week since my last entry.  I'm not sure why that is but it makes me wonder why all of sudden I have so little to say.  I've pondered it some but it's perplexing at best.  I might need a vacation.

Sarah & Michael - May 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment