That said, I have about five things on my mind today; yes, just today.
--5--
What an amazing experience this whole valedictorian, national merit, ap scholar, texas scholar thing has been for me, let alone what it must be for Mikey. All that he's worked for all these years has paid off. Now he gets the recognition he deserves, and another unexpected award at commencement. He received the HISD Board of Education Award for Student Excellence. Cool, isn't it? Doubly cool is the fact that when Sarah graduated, she received Honorable Mention for the very same award! A beyond cool thing is that I'm the mother and I get hugs, congratulations and "Aren't you proud's?" from people two! Not to take away anything from Mikey's achievements, I'd like to think that I played a small part behind the scenes, in contributing to his success. A pat on the back lets me know that sometimes I get this whole "mother" thing down right.
--4--
I'm so very proud of my daughter. Sarah got herself packed and organized early Wednesday morning. After picking up the keys, she enlisted help and vehicles and got everything moved in her new apartment by 5:30. As I hear it, (I won't be allowed to see it until she's finished decorating.) she unpacked everything the first night. I believe it. Once Sarah starts working on a project, particularly if it is at night, she tends to work until it's done. I can't wait to see it!
--3--
I've cried twice this week. Right before Sarah took the last load, she hugged me and thanked me. I teared up but didn't let myself break down and sob. I promised myself that I wouldn't burden Sarah with that. I am much too happy for her, and so proud of her too rain on her parade.
The other time was at commencement during Mikey's valedictory speech when he thanked me: "his actual mother for being his 'number one fan' who has continually inflated my ego as mothers tend to do." Well, at least for this point in my career as a mother, that is supreme validation for doing something right with your son. He admitted in front of his peers that he appreciates his mother. If that doesn't make you cry, that's fine because I cried enough for us all!
--2--
June 6, 1944 D-Day; a very important day in a war that will soon see all of its veterans gone. I don't know the statistic around the number of WW2 veterans dying these days but as my Aunt Grace would say, "They're dropping like flies." It's important that we not forgot those veterans.
--1--
John came in for Mikey's commencement this weekend. This is his first visit in three years which means that it's the first time in three years since I've had my entire family under one roof. Do you have any idea how happy that makes me? I am the youngest and I've been blessed with a brother and sister whom I get along with. In fact, I won't even consider what I would do if they weren't in my life. Time and distance do not make a difference; we always pick up where we left off, it's that comfortable. They've always protected and looked after me. I would like to think that now that I'm grown I look after them when they need me. Not only is credit due the three of us for remaining a family after our parents are gone, but credit is due to our parents. They provided a fine example of staying close to family. So, Dan and Virginia, wherever you are, know this: "I finally grew up. Ellen, John and I love each other and we enjoy each other's company. They still look after me although I am 51. We settled your estate and we still get along. Well. Daddy, we are having family parties in the house you built so that we could have family parties here. We had one this weekend, all together under one roof. I would like to think that you guys were with us this weekend in spirit, but I know better than that. I would like to think that heaven is realizing your original plan: being beach bums. Whatever you are up to, know that we listened, and we're good."
No comments:
Post a Comment