Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Marilyn Monroe

When I was a kid growing up, Daddy had hung, way up high in the corner of the outside wall of the garage, slightly obscured by long-handed shovels, a beautiful nude photo of Marilyn Monroe.  There was nothing pornographic about it; it was a tasteful photo of a beautiful woman.  I'm pretty sure that it came from a calendar of my Dad's, from some time in his life, before kids and perhaps as far back as the war.  I would be surprised; there was a fire in the tent he lived in while stationed in Italy and he lost some of his possessions.  If I ever knew the history of the photo, I do not recall it today.

As far as I know, the four of us were the only kids in the neighborhood whose father had a picture of any naked woman, much less the sexy Marilyn Monroe. This was exciting stuff for a kid growing up before the internet where nude women (& men!) are available constantly. Often, when new friends came around, words were whispered and eventually, I was asked if I could show the "picture of the naked lady".  I always complied, giggling along with friends even though I had seen it so many times before that it had become just another "thing" I passed as I wandered through the garage.  Still, it was thrilling.

Several times before the old house was demolished, Daddy made several walk-throughs to make sure that he had not missed anything.  Toward the end, I walked through with him and noticed that the picture of Marilyn Monroe, although torn, tattered and chewed by bugs, generally worn with age, was still hanging in the same spot where it had been all my life.  I truly believe that picture (as well as my parents healthy, loving attitude about sex and nudity) contributed (early) to my healthy views about nudity.

As Daddy and I walked through the garage, I glanced up at the picture and commented how sad it was that it had deteriorated so, and it had not been better protected. He agreed, and we both felt that considering the condition of the picture, it was appropriate that it be left hanging and go down with the house. Unless someone wandered through the empty garage between the final walk-through and the demolition, that particular picture of Marilyn Monroe went down with 5207.  What a fitting end for a photo that was beyond saving, but had provided years of cheap entertainment for young and old, alike.





"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure.  I make mistakes, I am out of control, and at times hard to handle.  But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me."    Marilyn Monroe

No comments:

Post a Comment