Monday, August 22, 2011

About five for August 22

I am back from a whirlwind weekend.  It began Friday morning when my alarm went off at six and ended when I finally fell asleep last evening.  Today was the big day, though.

--5--
It's the first public school day in 16 years that I didn't have to set an alarm.  Although it's been a while since I've walked a small one in on the first day of school, I was up early every first day. When Mom was alive, I made sure that we had enough time in the morning so that Sarah and Mikey could stop off and Mom could wish them off too.  I walked in with Sarah in eighth grade when she returned to school the semester after her appendectomy. She'd lost so much weight after the surgery; she was so thin a small wind could have knocked her over...  I didn't sleep late; only till close to seven.  Old habits are hard to break.  It was okay. I didn't have to rush around making sure that everyone was fed and ready.  I didn't have to be worried while Sarah and Mikey were backing out of the driveway, that someone in a hurry to get to Bellaire would crash into them.  Sometimes the heart knows that as things often do come to an end, it's okay when it's easy to accept the changes that come along.  I did miss seeing Lokin's car parked out front; I've been told that he's parking out front at the University of Houston if I need to see him.

-4--
Sarah returns to University of Houston tomorrow as a senior.  In spite of the fact that I look at her and see nothing but how bright and talented she is, and how mature she is, I am still amazed that she is old enough to be a senior in college.  I remember well how difficult that first separation was for us.  We were both miserable for days before, and even for a few weeks after school started.  Her kindergarten teacher assured me that Sarah would adjust and be okay.  She also assured me that I would be okay.  Mrs. Graves allowed me, as well as other first-time kindergarten mothers to come up for lunch as much as we wanted before the Labor day break; after that we only came for special occasions.  She was right; Sarah got used to school quickly and was every bit as social as she is today.  I'll be thinking about you tomorrow, Sarah.  I love you!

Sarah 5 yrs. - 8/21/95

--3--
Me?  I got new running shoes today.  New beginning, new shoes??  No, not really.  I've been procrastinating for a month and decided to quit.  I usually do this, wear my old pair longer than I probably should, but my feet are in good shape, especially because of my new shoes.

Hot Pink and Gaudy

--2--
I was looking through a photo album yesterday: mostly pictures of the first group of cats who lived down  in the little house when it was just me and Don.  I also came across pictures that Don took of me.  I am not tooting my own horn, only making an observation.  I spent most of my twenties thinking that I was fat and didn't measure up to any of the beautiful women during that time -- the 80's -- a lot of insecurities, which after looking at these photos, I've decided that I was insane for thinking that.  I was thin, looked presentable with most of the hairstyles I chose, and definitely did not look my age which I am told I still do not. It's so unfortunate that society and the media can really mess a girl up.  I wish that I thought that I could effectively communicate to girls today that they should relax and love themselves for who and what they are and not wait until they hit 50 to figure it out.

--1--
"Go-go Power Rangers"
June 12, 1995
Sarah 5 & Mikey 3

No comments:

Post a Comment