Monday, August 15, 2011

About five for August 15

Another day, another dollar.  Another week, I'll prob'ly hollar'.  I don't know what the means; it's the kid in me that loves a silly, senseless, simple rhyme.

--5--
I had occasion to look at the date on the calendar Friday.  It was the 12th which means that it has been 28 years since I graduated college.  While my degree seems to have no value in this economy, it has, as both my parents assured me it would, so much more than dollar value.  I was the only one in my family to get a college degree.  I was also the last one they expected would end up with a college degree.  Academics was not my thing; being social was.  It wasn't until my darling mother told me that if I lacked a college degree that I would be lacking in stimulating, educating cocktail conversation.  Talk about a wise mother because the idea that my cocktail conversation might be boring sent me into overdrive!

So, by hook and by crook, and the occasional bribing of a professor, I graduated.  With a BS which tickles me to no end!  Although all I ever wanted was to be a mom, I'm grateful to have graduated, if only because I know how much it meant to Mom and Daddy.  (I know that because Mom framed my diploma, to which when I showed it to Mikey he said, "So they had Photoshop back then?")


--4--
My trip to San  Francisco is around the corner, not long after Michael heads to UT and Sarah returns to UofH.  It's the first time in sixteen years that I don't have something to return to.  It's difficult. Sometimes excruciatingly so.  I have mixed emotions about it.  It's all I ever wanted, and supremely better than I ever, imagined it would be.  San Francisco is my diversion to transition me from being the proud mom of two fun kids to two amazing young people.  One of for whom graduation is around the corner in May 2012; and one who is just beginning to embark on his journey through college.

I hope that everyone understands why I need the diversion.  I will come back a better person, refreshed from a visit with my brother.  I'm not running away.  This is the same trip I always take in September, for a month, so I can do some charity work.  I'm coming back.  I have three reasons to come back.

--3--
Because of my husband, I am the envy of every woman I know.  It takes a husband who loves and understands you, and your relationship with your family, to be so comfortable with his wife taking off for a month.  It has men I know who upon hearing it, initially scratch their head and wonder how that would be, and then decide that your husband must love you.  Relationships need breathing room to keep fresh.  If you notice something wrong after a break, it was wrong a long time before.  Just sayin'

--2--
I watch television.  As much as I want, without any shame.  I spent many years when the kids were young not watching the likes of Ren and Stempy and Rugrats, which admittedly I loved, but virtually nothing for adults.  I'm catching up on silly sitcoms and entertaining dramas that I missed and I'm watching new ones.  I am currently mesmerized by Breaking Bad.  It may just be some of the best television right now.  It's "cover my eyes scary, brutal violent" and the acting is brilliant!  Bryan Cranston deserves every Emmy that he has received. There is not a hint of "Hal" from Malcolm and the Middle.  Aaron Paul finally received an Emmy last year for which many felt was overdue.  There truly is trash tv.  It's refreshing when there is drama that is worth watching.

--1--
This may be my new mantra.


Candid shots are always the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment