Monday, November 28, 2011

About five for November 28

I could be writing about five things, thoughts or miscellanea but today there has been only one thought on my mind.  Sarah.

Late last night, around midnight, Sarah and her friend Lauren were robbed at gunpoint and had their purses stolen.  Fortunately Sarah had her phone in her hand rather than in her purse, so she was able to call 911 and then me.  Lauren had her car keys in her hands, preparing to open her car door when someone came out of the shadows and demanded their purses.

In the span of what probably amounted to minutes, both of their lives were upended.  After dealing with police reports, they each had to go about the business of canceling credit and debit cards, having new keys made, and trying to recall the contents of their purses to determine what might need to be "fixed" or replaced.  Eventually, they will replace the purses because these are two young women who love their designer purses.

I have no faith in God.  My strength comes from within as it has most of my life, although it has only been within the last several years that I have admitted this to myself.  These feelings were reinforced for me when I realized this morning that not once last night did I think about God or praying for help.

I am often criticized and judged for my beliefs and, have been told that there is no way that I can't believe in God.  Ironic considering I respect those who do place their faith in God.  Whatever works, right?

What do my beliefs have to do with the events of last night?  Everything; at least in my book. Sarah and Lauren are okay today because sometimes there are happy endings.  Sometimes there are unhappy endings; I've lived through many of those, some of which shaped my entire life.  This one had a happy ending, not because of God or prayer, but because sometimes that's how life works.

I am grateful for Sarah and Lauren, and for happy endings.

No comments:

Post a Comment