Thursday, November 24, 2011

What I'm thankful for...

So many, many things but I will stick to what's most important.

My parents Dan and Virginia, aka Dan-Dai and Nannie.  Although they checked out of my life a while ago, I continue to live my life based on lessons they taught me.  Their influence on me is immeasurable; I hope that I told them that enough, how much I loved them, and how I miss them still.


My son, Mikey and my daughter Sarah, both of whom are every bit as adorable, intelligent and entertaining as they have always been.  They inspire me, entertain me, put up with my insanity, frustrate me sometimes (!) (yes, I'm aware they're not quite perfect), and love me unconditionally. I truly, truly could not be more blessed.  That we are still close, that they love me, actually like me, now that they're grown, is not something I take for granted.  I am grateful every day for them.

Sarah & Mikey - December, 1996
Mikey & Sarah - 11/23/11

My brother John who, in spite of being thousands of miles away, is always, always here for me, as is my sister, Ellen who, fortunately for me, is within spittin' distance.  I know few adults who can honestly say that they enjoy the bond which I share with Ellen and John, with their brothers and sisters.  Mom and Daddy would be thrilled that the three of us are still close, if not closer, as time goes on.



Lastly, my husband Don with whom I have spent over half my life with.  There have been times when he's known better than me what was best for me, but accepted that I am hard-headed and usually have to learn for myself.  Although not close to his own family, he saw that I was close to mine, embraced them and became close to them too.  He loves me enough to have weathered the bad times, when others might have taken off.  He never tires of taking pictures of me and for me, which is pretty handy when you're writing a blog.  I'm a bit high maintenance ;) but as Chandler with Monica, Don enjoys maintaining me. It's just the two of us now for the first time in 21 years and we're having fun.  I've seen some marriages fall apart at this point.  I try not to take for granted what I have with Don.  Oh yeah, he had a part in those wonderful kids I mentioned.


I have many things in my life that I'm thankful for; family is at the top of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment