Today is January 9, which happens to be Sarah's twenty-second birthday. We spent yesterday evening together and will be having a party tomorrow night. Today Sarah is out celebrating with friends. I don't mind that a bit, in fact I recall doing the same when I was her age. What I cannot get used to is the change in how I used to spend her birthday frantically getting ready for a family party in the evening; now I kick back and do little. I used to spend the day, typically while Sarah was at school, wrapping presents, baking a cake, and decorating the house with streamers and balloons. What a great time I had! Sarah was always appropriately surprised and gracious. She still is, although I do not go to the extremes of the past.
Today I sit back, tomorrow I will prepare for a party. Together Sarah and I will go to Baskin-Robbins so that she can pick out an ice cream cake, which is her favorite and a fairly recent tradition we have adopted.
Today, as I sit back and imagine what kind of birthday fun Sarah is having, I will enjoy the memories I have of Sarah's previous birthdays. I will savor these thoughts and be grateful for the gift that I received 22 years ago of my beautiful, wonderful daughter, Sarah Leigh!
Happy Birthday Sarah! Have a wonderful 22nd birthday! I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck. Make my life a wreck!
 |
| Sarah - 5 yrs. - Jan. 9, 1995 |
 |
| Sarah & Nan - 1994 |
 |
| Princess & Sarah - Christmas 2011 |
No comments:
Post a Comment