Saturday, December 24, 2011

About five for December 24


I've haven't been writing much lately; not because of anything bad, only that I've been busy.  Happy busy, you know.  I finished my shopping quite a while ago, and so I've spent the last week wrapping, decorating and enjoying the Christmas tree.  Speaking of the Christmas tree?  That would lead me to my list of about five of our family's Christmas traditions.  Some date back to my childhood, some to when Sarah came along, and some were adopted since our move to the big house.  All come together to make ours' a uniquely Wiggins-Goff Christmas.

--5--
For years now, Mikey and I have gone together to pick out the Christmas tree.  It started quite by accident, with me asking Mikey one year if he would like to skip school and help me pick out a tree. Of course he said yes; what kid wouldn't?  I know. Bad mother.  Whatever.  On more than one occasion, Mikey missed school for a week due to illness yet he still made straight A's.  Sarah too.  They are just that smart.  Scary, isn't it?  Anyway, it's something that just stuck over the years.  I'm happy to say that being in college didn't stop Mikey from wanting to pick out a Christmas tree. He loves Christmas.  Mikey is going to make a terrific husband and father some day.

--4--
Tons of picture-taking, candid and staged alike, each of which provide snapshots of our Christmas's through the years.





--3--
On Christmas morning, when they were still small, we didn't let Mikey and Sarah go in to see the Christmas tree and what Santa brought them, until we were all ready to go.  It kind of "stoked" the anticipation.  We do that to this day and, I believe that they are still, every bit as excited as they ever were.

--2--
One of our newer traditions is the Christmas day meal.  For years, our meal consisted of ham and the trimmings which translates into quite a bit of hands on time, thus time away from the fun of the day.  I'm sure that Don tired of my complaining (Yay! it worked), so he volunteered to make his Granny McGreevy's recipe of Spaghetti Sauce and Meatballs.  This absolutely saved me because he prepares it days ahead so I get to enjoy the day too.  All that's required the day of, is to warm the sauce and meatballs, cook the pasta and butter the bread.  What a delicious tradition!  Mikey served as Don's assistant the first couple of years but this year I'm on board.  Seventy balls so far and I've got two pounds left to roll.


--1--
Christmas morning was for extended family but Christmas Eve has always been when the four of us opened our gifts from each other.  Before we could do that, we needed to eat, right?  You'd think that it would be easy to go out and get a bite, but it seems that Christmas Eve is when most restaurants are closed.  When Sarah was a toddler and Mikey was a baby, we found House of Guys (Pies)open and have been going every Christmas Eve since.

I have many other favorite traditions: watching the Christmas specials with the kids, having our "yearly" photo on the stairs at Mom and Daddy's house, listening to the cd of Christmas music that Sarah made for me to listen to while I decorate; all of them wonderful, and too many to list here. I am blessed that way.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment