Thursday, January 26, 2012

How romantic is that?

I've spent a few hours here and there the last couple of days going through files, pitching papers that I know longer need to hold on to.  Today I came across the files which hold Daddy's military information.  Tucked in with the papers are miscellaneous pictures including one which he carried with him from Houston all the way to Cerignola Italy.

Virginia Leigh - circa 1940

My dad was always a flirt, even at the end of his life, as was Mom.  They wrote to each other while he was stationed in the states and in Italy. During the war, Mom continued to date other boys, and Daddy had, as he put it, "a girlfriend everywhere he was stationed." (I have proof because I've seen pictures of his other girlfriends.)  In my dad's heart, no one held a candle to my mother.  He used to tell me that he knew her better than she knew herself, and it's true.  He also told me that in spite of caring for each of the girls he dated, when he dated them, he always, always knew that he loved my mom the most and would end up marrying her.

He did, and of course the rest is history, at least my history.

How romantic is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment