They met when they were fourteen years old at Sidney Lanier Junior High School and continued on together at Lamar High School. Mom was a social butterfly and dated quite a bit. Okay, a lot. Daddy on the other hand, tended to have only one girl at a time for a while. That doesn't mean that he didn't have many girls; quite the opposite. He had many girls; in fact, he was quite the ladies man. Most of his girls were good friends with Mom, yet they did not date until after high school.
During the war, they corresponded and saw each other when he was home on leave; each continued to date others. After the war Daddy came home and he asked Mom to marry him: driving in a borrowed convertible, cruising the Westheimer Strip, just I like did (and still do!). I've heard the story so many times in my life, when I think about now, I almost feel like a fly on the backseat of that convertible. I can easily imagine Daddy broaching the subject of marriage, and subsequent proposal, to Mom. I can so clearly hear Mom tell Daddy that she would have to think about it! LMAO!!! THAT IS SO MOM! She knew that very minute, good and well, that she was going to marry Daddy. That's fine. I know that Daddy was prepared for anything with Mom. Daddy knew her better than she knew herself. I tend to believe that was good for their marriage.
She told him yes the next day, I believe. They were married fourteen days later, which by coincidence happened to be Valentine's Day 1945. It wasn't planned as is popular today. Daddy had limited time before he had to return to base. They got married as soon as possible so that they could have a brief honeymoon before Daddy's return.
When I was younger, I thought that my parents good marriage had something to do with being on Valentine's Day. Today I know that it was more. Growing up in the depression gave them a unique perspective and the strength, knowledge and experience to know that they could survive about anything.
It would be sixty-seven years of marriage today if they were still hangin' out with us. As far as I'm concerned they ARE STILL MARRIED! That begs the question, "Why do people pretend that anniversaries lose significance after the death of the spouse? The box you check changes, but hardly the attachment to, and love for someone.
Happy Anniversary Mom and Daddy! The only consolation I have in not being able to spend this day with you is in knowing that wherever you fools are, (no doubt FINALLY fulfilling your dream of being beach bums) you are happily bickering, laughing, loving and joking; all the while knowing that you are together for eternity!
| Dan & Virginia - Circa 1945 |
| Greeley Street |
![]() |
| part of my valentine's day |

No comments:
Post a Comment