Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Virginia's Garden

Virginia's Garden and for that matter, Virginia's whole yard, looks tired.  It's not even that sticky summer-hot when you know to expect some flower fatalities no matter how attentive you are to your flowers.  The squirrels!  They are so starved for food after two cold winters that they are out in packs digging up my sedum and my flowers.  I've had to construct little screen covers for some of my cactus, which only frustrates the little suckers who proceed to knock the clay pot over dumping out the plant and the dirt.  We politely asked Mikey (several times) for some of his air soft guns (he's well armed...) over the last couple of weeks during which he managed to dodge us quite well.  I chalked it up to being busy with school activities so I reminded him yesterday.  He hesitated and then told me that he doesn't want us to shoot the squirrels. Long silence.  I decided the only way to respond is to say, okay.  I personally don't agree with hunting for sport so I guess that shooting squirrels with air soft guns to keep those poor guys out of the flower beds and away from the tomato plants because they're STARVING!!! and looking for their next meal, is wrong.

I will continue my current tactic for dealing with the squirrels: when I spot a squirrel digging in my flower bed (what's left from the drought) I will open the window (the booming sound is enough to scare the poo out of anyone if you're not paying attention) and yell, "Get the hell out of my plant you idiot!  It works well, it's just a bit inconvenient having to get up off the couch away from my snacks.

Yard of the Month
Yard of the Month
Sideshow Bob survives

No comments:

Post a Comment