Saturday, October 8, 2011

Miscellanea

I've been asked several times now why I'm not writing these days.  For the most part, I'm not writing because all of my notes (that I jot down to write about later on) blew away the last time I synced my iphone.  The genius at the Apple Store: not so genius.

Facebook.  I don't much care for it these days. I'm okay with most changes but I find the feed annoying. I don't understand the concept of "sharing" posts.  It doesn't feel like it's sharing when someone removes something from your wall (without asking) and then, after the fact, says: "Thanks, Nan."  Isn't that just a back-handed way of stealing?  How is a Facebook page a reflection of the individual (which I tend to believe) if your friends copy your post?  Where is the originality?

I am also growing weary of being bombarded with politics and religion.  I appreciate each person's right to worship, but I need for people to accept that I don't have a need to worship.  Same deal with politics.  Instead of bitching on Facebook, get active and try to affect change.  Bitching is non-productive not to mention unhealthy.  I know this firsthand.

Facebook is supposed to be fun; a way to stay in touch with people you care about.  Lately, I've sensed so much anger that it's frightening.  I'm aware of how challenging these days are, but this anger is no good.

I have my most meaningful epiphanies about my life when I'm running.  Which means that, most of my epiphanies occur when I am in San Francisco because it's the only time that I can run every day, for as long as I want.  Mental health-wise, this is the most productive visit I've ever had, and I've been coming out here at least once a year, for twenty-three years.  John worked more than usual so I've had more time to myself.  I have always been a loner but this trip allowed me to indulge to my heart's content!  It's been absolutely heavenly!

Lastly, I've said it before, and it bears repeating: I am so fortuitous to have the nuclear family (I include my brother and sister, btw) that I do.  We have our own brand of dysfunction, but it is benign compared to others.  We get along well, we love each other, stay in touch, and when times are good as well as bad, we are always here for each other.  I am grateful.

Well, what do you know?  I'm writing.  Apparently all I needed was a nudge.  I'm a lucky girl but I still miss my notes.  :(



Two views of the second floor taken from the third floor loft, which is as John puts it, "my room". That's how much my brother loves me.
                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment