--5--
Mom always, always decorated the casement windows on the front of our house, for Halloween. Jack O'lanterns, Witch faces, Witches on brooms and Ghosts. After Mom and Daddy made the move to the new house she decorated (much to the delight of Sarah and Mikey) the windows on the front of the new house. Fortunately for me, I snagged the decorations after she was gone and up until two years ago, I decorated with the "vintage" decorations and made a few additions with some yard decorations. Nothing gaudy or over the top; certainly nothing compared to what Mikey and I have done with the outdoor Christmas decorations, simple strings of ghosts and pumpkin lights and few signs. I stopped decorating a few years ago due to the lack of trick or treaters. It's unfortunate; trick or treating is fun.
| Sarah 9 mths. - 1990 |
--4--
I don't recall much about what I did for Halloween when I was in college. I worked and went to school; I very well could have been too exhausted to think about Halloween. Oh, but after college when I worked in an office, man was that fun! I dressed up as, what else?, a cat, and had great fun. If the 3-inch, spiked heel pumps didn't pain my old feet, I would still dress up as a black cat. Over my life I've dressed in a few other costumes, but none have I enjoyed as much, as dressing up as a black cat. People like cats.
| Sarah 21mths. - 1991 |
--3--
This is not so much a memory as it is a tradition. Once Sarah and Mikey were old enough to trick or treat, we always ended up back here at Mom and Daddy's house. Just as the generation before them, Sarah and Mikey dumped their jack o'lanterns full of candy on the living room floor and shared their loot. Typically, the grandparents were given first choice by virtue of their place in the family, with the rest of us following behind. It was great for everyone: Sarah and Mikey learned the value of sharing and the adults reaped the benefits of the kids' trick-or-treating.
| Sarah 3 1/2 & Mikey 17mths. - 1993 |
--2--
What with Mikey being only 5 months old his first Halloween, finding a simple, yet comfortable costume for him required some thought. Sarah was happy being a pink ballerina (yet again) so that was helpful. One day I happened on to silver devil horns and a red bow tie at the drugstore, another, I picked up some silver cloth at Hancock's, yet another day, I sewed a silver diaper cover. POOF! Mikey was a little devil! I don't know if the selection of devil as his first Halloween costume influenced his current personality or not. but there are times when I'm sure that Mikey is possessed.
| Mikey 5mths. & Dan-Dai - 1992 |
| Mikey 5 mths., Sarah 2 1/2yrs. & Nan |
Again, not so much a memory as a thought. I have some really great memories of my childhood; around Halloween and other events as well. All of my memories, whether by divine design or happenstance were mostly due to my mother. I don't mean to infer that my dad was not involved because that would be far from the truth. By the time I came along, Daddy had more time to spend with me so I benefited the most from his time and attention. Their example as parents is what inspired and molded my views as a parent. All I've ever wanted to do was give Sarah and Mikey the opportunity to make memories like Mom and Daddy did for me. I'm pretty sure that at least where Halloween is concerned, I've been successful because they still love Halloween and I know that they are both out celebrating right now.
| Sarah 4 1/2 & Mikey 2 - 1994 |
| Sarah 2 1/2yrs. & Dan-Dai - 1992 |
| Cat? Man? Don - 1985 |
| Mikey 6yrs. "Small Soldier" Major Chip Hazard - 1992 |
No comments:
Post a Comment